- 1 1/2 cups Savoy or green cabbage, chopped
- 1/2 small red or yellow onion, chopped
- 1/2 lb. ground pork (optional)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 package organic shiitake mushrooms, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil (like canola, grape seed or safflower)
- Coarse sea salt
- 30 square dumpling wrappers (Find packaged ones near the tofu in the refrigerator section of your supermarket. Even though they are usually made with wheat, it is okay since they are stuffed with veggies and quinoa.)
- Dipping sauce, for serving
Yummy Pork & Veggie Dumplings Directions:
- Pulse the cabbage, onion and garlic in the bowl of a food processor until finely chopped. You can also just chop them by hand. In a large non-stick skillet heat the neutral oil over medium-high heat and add the cabbage onion mixture with a pinch of salt.
- Cook the pork in a separate skillet.
- Cook and stir occasionally until the veggies have softened, about 5 to 6 minutes. Add in the pork, mushrooms, peas and quinoa and continue cooking until the peas are soft, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the soy sauce and sesame oil. Use a potato masher to flatten the mixture to make a good filling. Allow it to cool to room temperature.
- Line a few of the dumpling wrappers on a flat surface and put 1 tablespoon of the filling mixture in the center of each wrapper. Wet your index finger in a small bowl of water and use it to moisten the edges of each dumpling. Carefully bring each of the edges together to form what resembles a little pyramid, making sure you press all the edges to form a good seal.
- Heat a bit of the neutral oil in a large nonstick skillet set at high heat. Cook the dumplings for 2 minutes, or until they are golden brown on the bottom.
- Next add 1/2 cup of water to the skillet, put a lid on it and allow the dumplings to steam until the wrappers are completely soft, about 2 minutes. Serve with the dipping sauce recipe below.
Yummy Pork & Veggie Dumplings Dipping Sauce Ingredients:
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Combine all of the ingredients together and mix well
(Adapted from Gwyenth Paltrow’s “It’s All Good”.)