SPICED GROUND TURKEY WRAP WITH WATERCRESS AND AVOCADO (Created by Dr. Mark Hyman)
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 5 ounces lean ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro
- 4 large romaine leaves
- 1/2 avocado, peeled, pitted, and mashed
- 1/2 cup baby spinach
- 1/2 cup watercress
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
MAKE THE TURKEY:
- Heat the oil in a wok or large cast-iron pan over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion, garlic, and ginger, stirring constantly, until aromatic and softened, 3-4 minutes.
- Add the carrot, cinnamon, coriander, turmeric, and cayenne. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and mix well. After a minute add the turkey, breaking it up with a spoon. Cook the turkey, stirring frequently, until browned, 6-8 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and stir, scraping the bottom of the pan to release any tasty browned bits. Turn off the heat and fold in the cilantro. Transfer the turkey mixture to a small bowl.
ASSEMBLE THE WRAPS:
- Lay the lettuce leaves out on a plate and spread a heaping teaspoon of the mashed avocado on each leaf. Add some spinach and watercress to each wrap. Top with small piles of the spiced turkey and roll up. Serve with the lime wedges on the side.
NUTRITIONAL ANALYSIS: per Serving (4 wraps): calories 566, fat 36 g, saturated fat 5 g, cholesterol 70 mg, fiber 9 g, protein 40 g, carbohydrate 27 g, sodium 314 mg