- ½ yellow onion coarsely chopped
- 1/8 cup organic olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 8 organic carrots cut in fourths
- 25 oz. organic chicken stock
- 2 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 1 /2 tsp finely chopped mild jalapeno
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup organic half and half
- 2 tblsp. orange juice
- 1 tsp ground thyme
- ¼ cup yogurt thinned with a little milk
- ¼ cup basil pesto
Place the olive oil in a 6-8 cup stew pan and sauté the onions over medium heat until soft.
Stir in the garlic, jalapeno and ginger for about 30 seconds but do not let the garlic brown.
Add the carrots and chicken stock. Bring to a boil and then simmer until the carrots are soft.
Add the salt, pepper, thyme and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Put the carrot mixture in small batches into a food processor or blender. Process until the soup is a smooth mixture.
Return the mixture to the pan and simmer for 5 minutes. Correct the seasoning. Serve with a little of the yogurt mixture swirled in and some pesto dribbled on the top of each bowl.